electrically dead Hummer -- help!

Hummer H1 and Military Humvee topics
Snakeyes

electrically dead Hummer -- help!

Post by Snakeyes » Sun 23 Aug , 2009 9:53 am

Was driving off-road yesterday on relatively plain surface. Suddenly I lost all power and the Hummer died. I am getting absolutely no electrical power in the Hummer. No horn, hazard lights, nothing. The batteries do have a charge but that's it. Since it has been raining and the ground is fairly wet I have not been able to test voltage at any other location. Will be hitching a ride as soon as the weather clears to try and diagnose the issue. Fusable link?

Any and all help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The location where the car is located is fairly messy thanks to the rain and I am not looking forward to slithering under the Hummer etc.
1993 H1-sold
1997 H1 -Mod. Blk,cer.ctd pistons,ported head. Heath remote PMD, Mech.Wastegate,HD Dual Lift pump & Injectors, Water/Meth Inj, str-thru exhaust. Shift-Kit, Rebuilt Tranny-Kevlar belts, HD Torque Conv., Deep Trans.pan. Night-Vision, HID etc.

JustinOK
hummer_info: 1998 TD HMC4

Re: electrically dead Hummer -- help!

Post by JustinOK » Sun 23 Aug , 2009 1:51 pm

Check the cables at the batteries for corrosion. Maybe even get a wire brush and clean them off. Be sure not to cross thread the bolts when putting them back on. Then double check the cables where they connect to the starter (just follow them down if you don't know).

My starter recently grounded out, and before that happened, I would lose power while driving, although only very briefly. If you follow the positve cable to the starter, you'll notice where that cable attaches to the starter, there is an insulated metal band than goes to the starter solenoid. Make sure its fully insulated and not loose.

On the pics I attached, check out specifically where the screwdriver is pointing. Its a thick, insulated robber grommet. It's completely missing on my bad starter, causing that area to short out. You can also see how that metal band lost almost all of its insulation.

Other places to check could be your glow plug controller ground. Lastly, bring your batteries and alternator in to the nearest/favorite auto parts store and have them check them out.
Attachments
DSC02269.JPG
"bad" starter
DSC02270.JPG
Good "spare" starter
DSC02271.JPG
"Spare" starter on left, bad starter on right.
1998 TD HMC4 w/ 91K miles

Updated Block, HummerDan's Hardcore Skid & Fender Guards, & Locking Fuel Doors; Ham (VHF/UHF) & CB radios; Predator PCM; mech wastegate; Cepek Adj Shocks.
ScanGauge II.
Stanadyne Performance Formula

Snakeyes

Post by Snakeyes » Mon 24 Aug , 2009 10:51 am

Thanks for the very helpful post JustinOK. With some luck I should get to the Hummer this evening and your pictures will help enormously.
1993 H1-sold
1997 H1 -Mod. Blk,cer.ctd pistons,ported head. Heath remote PMD, Mech.Wastegate,HD Dual Lift pump & Injectors, Water/Meth Inj, str-thru exhaust. Shift-Kit, Rebuilt Tranny-Kevlar belts, HD Torque Conv., Deep Trans.pan. Night-Vision, HID etc.

diyhumm
hummer_info: Research Stage

Post by diyhumm » Mon 24 Aug , 2009 12:55 pm

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

I'm worried about your hummer out there all alone.

There was a local guy around here who broke a tie rod out in Anza. He was gone for a couple days, and came back with a new tie rod only to find his truck sitting on 2x4's with no wheels.

Hope there are no pranksters or greenies around there.

Snakeyes

Post by Snakeyes » Tue 25 Aug , 2009 1:44 pm

Thanks for the help and concern. Turned out to be a blown Fusable link between the battery and alternator.
1993 H1-sold

JustinOK

Post by JustinOK » Wed 26 Aug , 2009 6:32 am

Glad you found out what it was.

Can you swap out the fusible link part easily? I know its crimped into the positive starter cable. But the fusible link is only a few inches worth of wire...

Updated Block, HummerDan's Hardcore Skid & Fender Guards, & Locking Fuel Doors; Ham (VHF/UHF) & CB radios; Predator PCM; mech wastegate; Cepek Adj Shocks.
ScanGauge II.

Snakeyes

Post by Snakeyes » Wed 26 Aug , 2009 11:47 am

JustinOK wrote:Glad you found out what it was.

Can you swap out the fusible link part easily? I know its crimped into the positive starter cable. But the fusible link is only a few inches worth of wire...
For the moment I crimped on a 8 gauge wire . Once I get the replacement fusible link I will use waterproof butt connectors to crimp it in place. By the way do you happen to know of any source for this fusible link or a GM equivalent part number ? Also thanks again for the post and the pictures.
1993 H1-sold

JustinOK

Post by JustinOK » Wed 26 Aug , 2009 6:54 pm

Snakeyes wrote:
JustinOK wrote:Glad you found out what it was.

For the moment I crimped on a 8 gauge wire . Once I get the replacement fusible link I will use waterproof butt connectors to crimp it in place. By the way do you happen to know of any source for this fusible link or a GM equivalent part number ? Also thanks again for the post and the pictures.
Well, since I had to order new cables, I can tell you the fusible link from the alternator is crimped into the positive starter to battery cable, and that assembly is one part # from AM General.

ScanGauge II.

Snakeyes

Post by Snakeyes » Fri 28 Aug , 2009 5:19 am

JustinOK, could you please post the part number if you still have it. Thanks
1993 H1-sold

JustinOK

Post by JustinOK » Fri 28 Aug , 2009 6:28 pm

Snakeyes wrote:JustinOK, could you please post the part number if you still have it. Thanks
6009470 - Cable, Starter, Positive

A little pricey, I think $70-ish.

ScanGauge II.

fusioncruiser

Post by fusioncruiser » Tue 13 Nov , 2012 9:07 am

This sounds exactly like what is happening to mine right now... Is there a test procedure to verify the fusible is toast? Do you have a picture of it and its location so I can track it down? I don't see any bumps on the red cable implying a fusible link so I must be looking in the wrong spot.

Thanks!!

fusioncruiser

Post by fusioncruiser » Fri 14 Dec , 2012 11:33 am

Mine is Fixed now...
Was the Alternator bolt that has 3 wires going to it. If I bumped the wire, I got lights back.

So, I took it all off and used a wire brush attachment on a dremel tool to clean it all up and then gooped on some dielectric grease to keep moisture out and voila. Good as gold.

Thanks