Start in neutral???

Hummer H1 and Military Humvee topics
mikefox
hummer_info: 1998 H1 6.5 TD

Start in neutral???

Post by mikefox » Sat 26 Nov , 2011 1:00 am

Just bought my first hummer and slowly working through the kiinks.
I bought a 98 h1 Td and the guy I bought it off told me It has to be in neutral to turn over. After reading through this forum i seen a Thing in changing out a neutral safety switch an it says that it should start in park or neutral. Can someone be kind enough to tell me I'f it is normal to have to shift to neutral to start???

Thanks,
Mikefox

1997HMCS

Re: Start in neutral???

Post by 1997HMCS » Sat 26 Nov , 2011 5:29 am

It is not normal to have to shift to neutral to start. Perhaps a bad neutral switch.

mikefox
hummer_info: 1998 H1 6.5 TD

Post by mikefox » Sat 26 Nov , 2011 11:51 am

Thanks. That's what I thought. The guy I bought it from told me that it had to be in neutral to start. Seemed odd, but thought maybe it was a hummer thing. Then when I took it in for a wheel alignment I told the service guy to put in neutral to start and he said "this isn't our first hummer we've worked on" So again I thought that's just how hummers are then reading through a few threads I came across a guy that had a problem with a H1 Alpha that wouldn't start in park but starts in neutral... I stated to wonder if the Alphas were different or if my truck had a problem. Anyways, thanks for info. I just ordered a neutral safety switch so that should rectify the problem.

h1sp

Post by h1sp » Sun 27 Nov , 2011 10:36 am

Welcome and Try this:

http://idiventure.com/flashoffroad/elec ... Switch.htm

This should be the part:

http://www.hummerpartsguy.com/SWITCH-NE ... p_162.html

let us know what you find.
2000 HMC4
"Candy Apple RED"
Stock with Run Flats
1 of 57

JustinOK
hummer_info: 1998 TD HMC4

Post by JustinOK » Fri 02 Dec , 2011 10:20 pm

It's a bit of a pain job to swap out the neutral safety switch. You can bypass it (much easier).
1998 TD HMC4 w/ 91K miles

Updated Block, HummerDan's Hardcore Skid & Fender Guards, & Locking Fuel Doors; Ham (VHF/UHF) & CB radios; Predator PCM; mech wastegate; Cepek Adj Shocks.
ScanGauge II.
Stanadyne Performance Formula

eric
hummer_info: 1993 Hummer H1

Post by eric » Wed 17 Oct , 2012 3:47 pm

Can somebody tell me how to operate the vehicle on normal street driving? I can move the shifting from N to D and to R and P but the other lever is stuck on N and is very hard to move it. When on D it runs but it seems to stay on one gear only.

h1sp

Post by h1sp » Wed 17 Oct , 2012 4:01 pm

eric wrote:Can somebody tell me how to operate the vehicle on normal street driving? I can move the shifting from N to D and to R and P but the other lever is stuck on N and is very hard to move it. When on D it runs but it seems to stay on one gear only.
I place my transmission in “N” natural (shifter on right)
Then move my T-Case shifter (shifter on left, next to drivers right leg)

if the T-case is tough to move try:
1. moving the truck forward about 3 feet, reverse about 3 feet, place the Transmission back in Natural (then the T-case shifter)
2. go under the truck and remove your linkage bag, oil the linkage (while your under the truck check insuring nothing is bent or broken)
* course before going under the truck, place in park, break on, wheel blocks, safety glasses on.

Hope this helps
2000 HMC4
"Candy Apple RED"
Stock with Run Flats
1 of 57