water temp

Hummer H1 and Military Humvee topics
mgaetajr
hummer_info: 2002 H1 hummer open top diesel

water temp

Post by mgaetajr » Thu 14 Jun , 2012 9:01 pm

On my h1 diesel, 2002, the water temp usually is straight up on the gauge. where i live it is hot, today was about 104. when driving if go above 55 mph the temp starts to climb. it gets between the 1/2 and the 3/4 line on gauge with the 1/2 being straight up. is this ok. or normal.

JustinOK
hummer_info: 1998 TD HMC4

Re: water temp

Post by JustinOK » Fri 15 Jun , 2012 5:08 pm

This is where a ScanGauge II comes in handy, since it provides the actual value for the temperature and not just a "range". Not sure how fast you are driving, and whether or not you are on level ground or climbing a grade.

Chances are I'd say its normal. Especially if it returns to a normal value once you reduce the load on the engine. You could double check the coolant level (when cold), and/or do a flush if you haven't done one lately. Add some Water Wetter if you'd like, lots of folks use it.
1998 TD HMC4 w/ 91K miles

Updated Block, HummerDan's Hardcore Skid & Fender Guards, & Locking Fuel Doors; Ham (VHF/UHF) & CB radios; Predator PCM; mech wastegate; Cepek Adj Shocks.
ScanGauge II.
Stanadyne Performance Formula

mgaetajr
hummer_info: 2002 H1 hummer open top diesel

Post by mgaetajr » Fri 15 Jun , 2012 5:43 pm

If i stay under 55 it stays straight up but if go over 55 or go up steep inclines it starts to climb. The hottest it has been is between 1/2 or straight up and 3/4 mark. When it gets to that point i ussually slow down under 55 and turn the air off till it comes down. I havent had the antifreeze chaged lately so I think I will try that with the water wetter. Thanks

chuck
Site Admin
hummer_info: 1998 H1

Post by chuck » Sat 16 Jun , 2012 2:49 pm

Sounds normal to me. If you live in a warm climate replace your antifreeze with a lower percentage of antifreeze, more like 40% antifreeze and 60% water. Water cools better than antifreeze but you need the antifreeze to keep the boiling point under pressure down.
15 Years ownership
98 TD Wagon
95 Gas Wagon
96 TD Wagon
A GT Cepek Dealer
Visit the Store