intermittent steering stall/stop when driving

Hummer H1 and Military Humvee topics
Jason1996H1
hummer_info: H1 1996

intermittent steering stall/stop when driving

Post by Jason1996H1 » Sat 16 Jun , 2012 7:43 am

Hello,

The truck is beginning to have a strange steering problem. At first, I thought it was my imagination, but it is definitely doing it more. Situation: While driving in the freeway or local street, the steering will feel like it is stuck in one steering position. I have to give it a little force to free it. But then the problem may not be there for a while. The steering is normal easy turning left and right. When it get stuck or stall at one spot, it feels like something is keeping the steering box from turning. It is not always at the same steering location. Steering Fluid is full, no leaks. It almost feels like the power steering is low in fluid, where it is getting intermittent stalling of assist.

I read on this website about steering pump and using PSC pump. Is that PSC pump an upgrade to a stronger pump? If no different in pump, the factory one works just find for me. Anyone upgraded the steering box to a heavier duty one? Or just stick with AMG stuff.

This situation is getting dangerous, I will not allow my wife to drive it until its fix.

Appreciate any advice and 2 cents

Jason

chuck
Site Admin
hummer_info: 1998 H1

Re: intermittent steering stall/stop when driving

Post by chuck » Sat 16 Jun , 2012 2:43 pm

I don't know if you read through my power steering article.
http://flashoffroad.com/Maintenance/Pow ... eering.htm

I'm assuming all your front end parts such as your ball joint, idler arm pitman arm, center link and tierod ends are in good shape.

When the steering goes bad does it stay bad long enough for you to see if the brakes work. Your brakes use the power steering pump for their assist on the hummer. The brakes have a pressure reservoir that stores up enough pressure for a few applications of the pedal in case the power steering pump goes bad. When you steering goes bad see if you can roll and stop the truck 5 or so times. If you can, and the brakes work and the steering is still stuck my guess would be you need a new steering box. If the brakes don't work it's probably the pump.

If you have an hydraulic winch, it could be causing a problem.
15 Years ownership
98 TD Wagon
95 Gas Wagon
96 TD Wagon
A GT Cepek Dealer
Visit the Store

hesh
hummer_info: 2001 wagon

Post by hesh » Sat 16 Jun , 2012 2:49 pm

There are two zerk fittings on the steering shaft inside the cab, iirc, that require regular lubrication, and produce similar results like this.

From the HMLKB:
"Steering column:

The steering column (the steering shaft actually) has two u-joints in it. One is located a few inches from the steering wheel (under the dash). The other is located near the steering gear, under the hood (within about a foot of where the steering shaft passes thru the fire wall). The steering shaft also has a "sliding part" which allows the shaft to change length. This joint is located near the u-joint inside the truck, under the dash. Some, but not all, Hummers have a grease fitting here. "

chuck
Site Admin

Post by chuck » Sat 16 Jun , 2012 2:51 pm

I forgot about those. In fact there is another U joint on the steering column in the engine compartment you need to grease.
15 Years ownership
98 TD Wagon
95 Gas Wagon
96 TD Wagon
A GT Cepek Dealer
Visit the Store

Jason1996H1

Post by Jason1996H1 » Sun 17 Jun , 2012 10:49 pm

Thanks,

I have never grease those fittings. I hope it is that simple. I will give it a shot and post result one way or another. Chuck, or anyone used any aftermarket steering box that is better than stock Hummer steering box? I will check your parts cross-reference after this. I read on this forum people use the PSC power steering pump, it that better or just cheaper? I am thinking of mounting the reservoir remotely up high.

If all these aftermarket is no better, then I would just stick with AMG, there stuff is tried and trued.

chuck
Site Admin

Post by chuck » Tue 19 Jun , 2012 9:44 pm

I don't think there is an aftermarket steering box and the standard power steering pump works fine.
15 Years ownership
98 TD Wagon
95 Gas Wagon
96 TD Wagon
A GT Cepek Dealer
Visit the Store

h1sp

Post by h1sp » Tue 03 Jul , 2012 1:27 pm

are you running over size tires?
2000 HMC4
"Candy Apple RED"
Stock with Run Flats
1 of 57

mikefox
hummer_info: 1998 H1 6.5 TD

Post by mikefox » Fri 06 Jul , 2012 9:51 pm

Napa has a steering box the H1. I just bought one a few weeks ago for my parts kit.

Jason1996H1

Post by Jason1996H1 » Wed 11 Jul , 2012 1:22 pm

Tires are kinda oversize in width. I have switched back to my GT aluminium 18"x9.5" using Toyo 335-65-18; quite nice riding tire, not too noisy. Maybe not as good as my previous set BF goodrich All Terrain, too bad it does not come in 18".

So far I have ordered from AGR performance power steering their power steering pump and power steering box with CNC machined port for Rock Ram (if need). AGR's steering box uses larger nose and rear bearings, in additional to added needle bearings. Not sure if does anything, but it is much cheaper than buying a new one from Stdealer. In addition, I am also going to replace the brake master, brake booster and Predator Motorsports' steering box reinforcement plate. Collecting a lot of parts but not yet have time to install it. I think when water crossing, the powersteering fluid got contaminated with water. So I decided to replace all the parts for save measure. I will post result on fitment.....all these parts should be "Bolt-on"........

I will post part numbers if everything is successful...much cheaper than buying it from Stdealer.