OBD II code 380 (glow plug circuit)

Hummer H1 and Military Humvee topics
fusioncruiser

OBD II code 380 (glow plug circuit)

Post by fusioncruiser » Fri 07 Sep , 2012 4:24 pm

When I went out to startup the truck this morning, after waiting for the truck to be ready, I cranked it and it started really fast but ran at a high idle (maybe 1,500rpm) for about a second then shut down. It repeats it consistently.

I put the obd II on it and it pulled a 380 code. I also noticed that the amp meter shows much lower v than it should (even charged the batteries just to be sure).

The code references a Glow Plug Circuit malfunction but I have not been able to find anything about how to proceed with finding out what part to replace. The codes show the following from the Tech page on it:

Glow Plug P0380 | glowplug voltage - ignition voltage | =< Glowplugs commanded off & Diagnostic set conditions A/D glowplug voltage
Circuit 2.0 volts raw feedback > 4.0 v - OR - A/D inputs settled true for 2 seconds input B
Malfunction Glowplugs commanded on & raw feedback < 4.0 v - OR -
Glowplugs commanded on and Detects a faulty glowplug relay circuit |glowplug voltage - ignition voltage| > 2 v Test performed continuously

If anyone bas some suggestions about what to test first (and how) or if you can point me to a good document on it, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn

fusioncruiser

Re: OBD II code 380 (glow plug circuit)

Post by fusioncruiser » Sat 08 Sep , 2012 12:43 am

Opps, nevermind.... I just found the tech article on it. I was looking in all the other sections but not the diesel section. :roll:

h1sp

Post by h1sp » Sun 09 Sep , 2012 8:22 pm

glow plugs and the controler are EZ on the H1

Hope you found the issue already
2000 HMC4
"Candy Apple RED"
Stock with Run Flats
1 of 57

fusioncruiser

Post by fusioncruiser » Sun 09 Sep , 2012 8:48 pm

Just waiting for the parts to arrive now :)

And trying to figure out how you reach the gp at the back... on both sides they look so far back. Haven't tried taking them out yet though. I have PB on it now to get them all ready 8)

h1sp

Post by h1sp » Mon 10 Sep , 2012 7:17 am

Driver side, I went from underneath (just take you time)
Im almost sure the passenger side I went from the top (removed the air intake tube, A COUPLE drop lights)
We have some very small vacuum hoses on the passenger side area. I pulled mine out then the A/C vents wouldn’t work (till I figured out what I did.)
I also dropped the old glow plug on top of the starter / inside the motor mount (that took a mirror, magnet and about a Hour to fish them out.)
“You can do it”
2000 HMC4
"Candy Apple RED"
Stock with Run Flats
1 of 57

fusioncruiser

Post by fusioncruiser » Wed 19 Sep , 2012 3:31 pm

So... I just replaced the glow plugs and the glow plug controller but it is doing the exact same thing.

Does anyone know what a failure of the FSS would look like? i.e. would it do this with the startup problem?

Thanks!
Shawn

***Almost forgot... Does anyone know the part number for the fss? I can't find the number in the tech pages.

fusioncruiser

Post by fusioncruiser » Wed 19 Sep , 2012 4:20 pm

Stanadyne 33072 is what I found.... Hope that is right. Ordered one cuz the local parts shops don't carry it.

h1sp

Post by h1sp » Thu 20 Sep , 2012 8:26 am

fusioncruiser wrote:Stanadyne 33072 is what I found.... Hope that is right. Ordered one cuz the local parts shops don't carry it.
Fuel Shut off solenoid?
It looks correct. You might have had a couple if issues at once.

If you still toss a 380 code, it only could be your Glow Plug controller or bad connection.

If it starts, runs, then dies … your Fuel Shut off solenoid. (but this should toss a code)
Then it also could be your PMD as well.
Hunting down issues like this is the fun / aggregating portion. Finding the issue and the FIX is the rewarding part.

Hope all this helps
2000 HMC4
"Candy Apple RED"
Stock with Run Flats
1 of 57

fusioncruiser

Post by fusioncruiser » Mon 24 Sep , 2012 10:33 am

I just went out to see if the fss was sending an obd code but now all i get on the OBD is an E.

It goes:
Launch
- - - - - -
E

then repeats above.

I tried unconnecting the wires for the current fss but no change and I still have really low reading on the Volt Meter when the glow plugs are in there heat cycle and the fuel pump is going.

Would this be a failed computer? If so, how do I get it reprogrammed? I think the previous owner said he had some predator chip done to it but I can't find anything about that in my documentation.

This is getting tough to track down.

Thanks for the help
Shawn

h1sp

Post by h1sp » Mon 24 Sep , 2012 10:43 am

Pm Sent
2000 HMC4
"Candy Apple RED"
Stock with Run Flats
1 of 57

h1sp

Post by h1sp » Mon 24 Sep , 2012 10:50 am

Have you ever changed this PMD out?

http://www.flashoffroad.com/catalog/ori ... sd/fsd.htm
2000 HMC4
"Candy Apple RED"
Stock with Run Flats
1 of 57

fusioncruiser

Post by fusioncruiser » Mon 24 Sep , 2012 1:08 pm

Ya, mine has a remote mounted one on the drivers wheelwell but it was moved over there before I bought the truck so it is at least 6 years old. I did find this ditty about testing the pmd ... kinda interesting http://www.pmdfailures.com/files/SB-77-63-06A.pdf

I guess I'll have to order one to test it out.

Thanks
Shawn

fusioncruiser

Post by fusioncruiser » Fri 14 Dec , 2012 11:39 am

Forgot to follow up on this ...

The PMD was dead. It had a big burn mark on it so swapped it out with a new one and it started right up.

I'm still not sure that I understand whether the 7 or the 9 ohm resister chip is better and why but either way, I'm rolling along fine.

Thanks for the help!