chuck
Site Admin
hummer_info: 1998 H1

AM Generals Civilian Humvee KIT

Post by chuck » Fri 02 Nov , 2012 7:58 am

What do you think of this? A Kit?

http://genuinehumveekit.com/

Introducing the HUMVEE C-Series Kit

The HUMVEE® C–Series Kit is a civilian product with the best in industry mobility technology made available for the first time to the general public. All the basics are supplied — aircraft quality aluminum riveted body, exceptionally durable chassis, and a basic soft top structure that screams "off–road ready". A trimmed–out interior that you can customize to your liking provides the final finish. The HUMVEE C–Series is ready to crawl over its competition and climb into the lead of the 4X4 civilian market. Just add your own powertrain and you're ready to roll!

The sub–assemblies requiring the most critical tolerances and processes — the fully painted chassis and riveted aluminum body, with your choice of 3 "ground pounding" inspired colors — are provided to you complete, with the world class quality and durability already baked–in from an award–winning factory workforce. More than 60 hours of International Organization for Standardization (ISO) registered manufacturing is included with your kit components. No one in the world can make these assemblies better (or more efficiently) than AM General. Each of these items has seen improvements over past commercial offerings, so you are building with the latest in off–road technology. Better yet, the existing accessory market has expanded technologies — both mechanical and electrical — to better support the project car builder, allowing you to develop unique and striking customizations.
15 Years ownership
98 TD Wagon
95 Gas Wagon
96 TD Wagon
A GT Cepek Dealer
Visit the Store

chuck
Site Admin
hummer_info: 1998 H1

Re: AM Generals Civilian Humvee KIT

Post by chuck » Fri 02 Nov , 2012 8:33 am

From what I see you are getting a truck that you have to put together with no tires and wheels. I think it's overpriced at 60k. Add labor and 4 to 5k for decent tires and wheels and you have a truck that's pushing 70k with sales tax. I'm thinking collectors and guys with deep pockets might buy these. I think I heard that AMG was losing the hmmwv contract or the army is going to another vehicle. This is probably something they're floating as a possibility. They probably can avoid all kinds of expensive certifications and testing by offering a kit.

You'd have to look into your state's laws to see how to license and title a kit car. Unless you have cash, it isn't as easy to get a loan and insurance on a kit.
15 Years ownership
98 TD Wagon
95 Gas Wagon
96 TD Wagon
A GT Cepek Dealer
Visit the Store

h1sp

Re: AM Generals Civilian Humvee KIT

Post by h1sp » Fri 16 Nov , 2012 6:36 pm

I think its very exciting. It keeps the H1 alive.

It will have a deep pocket buyer who wants a brand new rig.

Your still looking at 90k+ TTL, the drivetrain will be from a local shop and you end up with soft doors.

Yet, for the average Joe its still better to find a 75,000.00 street queen with under 60k miles.
2000 HMC4
"Candy Apple RED"
Stock with Run Flats
1 of 57