2 inch lift, body or suspension?

Hummer H1 and Military Humvee topics
Matthew
hummer_info: 1997.5 Wagon

2 inch lift, body or suspension?

Post by Matthew » Thu 15 Aug , 2013 11:59 am

Hello Guys-

I would like to do a two inch lift on my truck to get 40 inch tires on her. Anyone know which one is better and which one is easier to do? Each of the major H1 aftermarket manufactures offer some variation of the body lift. I have also seen the 2 inch aluminum spacers added to the springs.

Whats your guys 2 cents on this? Anyone have a preference" I have access to a full automotive garage w/lift.

Thanks

h1sp

Re: 2 inch lift, body or suspension?

Post by h1sp » Fri 16 Aug , 2013 7:19 am

Hey Matt,

If your springs are in good condition I think most would suggest a 2” body lift. RD or Eric has built some. Then you don’t have to mess with a alignment, stiff ride issues, new shocks.. etc...
The spring spacers will work, but lots of work to install and then a slippery slope .... might as well change out the ball joints, shocks and alignment will be needed.

Cant wait to see your finished product.
2000 HMC4
"Candy Apple RED"
Stock with Run Flats
1 of 57

icentropy
hummer_info: 1997.5 Hummer HMMWV

Post by icentropy » Sat 24 Aug , 2013 12:08 pm

Matthew wrote:Hello Guys-

I would like to do a two inch lift on my truck to get 40 inch tires on her. Anyone know which one is better and which one is easier to do? Each of the major H1 aftermarket manufactures offer some variation of the body lift. I have also seen the 2 inch aluminum spacers added to the springs.

Whats your guys 2 cents on this? Anyone have a preference" I have access to a full automotive garage w/lift.

Thanks
I think they're both fairly easy especially with a lift. Body lift doesn't mess with your shock travel. I have heard of issues with the steering column hole needed to be modded to avoid tearing/rubbing. Also front tank will need to be dropped with longer straps.

Spring spacers don't mess with any of that but do change the at rest position of your shocks.
According to factory your suspension should have this amount of movement:
Jounce (compression) is 3.53"
Rebound (extension) is 4.48"

spring spacers don't add or subtract from the total movement, they only change the at rest position of your truck so with a 2" lift you now will have 5.53" compression and 2.48" extension. since they also preload the springs a bit you'll have a stiffer ride in the back due to the variable springs back there. The front shouldn't change much.
1997.5 Custom Humvee 4DR 6.5TD (sold)
1994 HMC4 lots of mods (borrowed)
WWW.ICENTROPY.COM

Matthew
hummer_info: 1997.5 Wagon

Post by Matthew » Tue 27 Aug , 2013 10:28 am

Thanks very much for the detailed responses.