2-Piece wheels/beadlocks/runflats

Hummer H1 and Military Humvee topics
Matthew
hummer_info: 1997.5 Wagon

2-Piece wheels/beadlocks/runflats

Post by Matthew » Tue 17 Dec , 2013 8:16 am

I would like to remove the run-flats from my 2-piece oem wheels. Does this then mean I need to purchase beadlocks to make sure the tire stays on the wheel?

I know that beadlocks help when you run at low pressures, however, this truck is a street queen. Do I still need beadlocks after I remove the run-flats if these wheels only get used at regular pressure?

Thanks guys.

chuck
Site Admin
hummer_info: 1998 H1

Re: 2-Piece wheels/beadlocks/runflats

Post by chuck » Tue 17 Dec , 2013 9:05 am

Go to the tech section of flashoffroad. I have articles on tires and wheels where this is addressed.
15 Years ownership
98 TD Wagon
95 Gas Wagon
96 TD Wagon
A GT Cepek Dealer
Visit the Store

Matthew

Post by Matthew » Tue 17 Dec , 2013 9:56 am

Thanks, I have the read the article.

I would still like to hear how others have their 2 piece wheels configured.

JustinOK
hummer_info: 1998 TD HMC4

Post by JustinOK » Thu 19 Dec , 2013 6:50 pm

From what I know, the safety bead (the "lip") on the factory two piece wheels is much smaller than what the one piece wheels have. I'm sure the chances are small of losing your bead just doing street driving, but knowing my luck I'd hit a nasty pothole and lose the bead and cause some nasty damage.

I have the 17" two-piece factory wheels. I removed the runflat/beadlock assembly and now use the beadlock only insert. Saves about 30 lbs per wheel. Also, makes it much easier when getting new tires installed. Working the beadlock only insert is much easier than trying to get the runflat inside the tire. Of course, getting the runflat out isn't too bad.
1998 TD HMC4 w/ 91K miles

Updated Block, HummerDan's Hardcore Skid & Fender Guards, & Locking Fuel Doors; Ham (VHF/UHF) & CB radios; Predator PCM; mech wastegate; Cepek Adj Shocks.
ScanGauge II.
Stanadyne Performance Formula

SaintAnger
hummer_info: 2000 H1

Post by SaintAnger » Fri 10 Jul , 2015 8:34 pm

I cannot find a shop that will work on beadlock wheels in the Tacoma Washington area. Can anyone recommend a place or person?
Cheers

Matthew

Post by Matthew » Wed 15 Jul , 2015 12:20 pm

I got rid of my 2 piece wheels for that reason. I love the look, but if I ever needed them serviced it would be a headache. I have been told if you switch out runflats for beadlocks you can easily do the job yourself.

chuck
Site Admin
hummer_info: 1998 H1

Post by chuck » Wed 15 Jul , 2015 12:48 pm

Probably 5 years ago I had a customer in the Chicago area who needed new tires on their 2000 with 16.5 2 piece wheels. They found one of the old Hummer dealers and they wanted 250.00 labor per tire to do the work and they still needed to find decent tires which you can't in that size. They ended up with some black powder coated Cepek wheels and the Toyo Open Country MT's. Mounting and balancing the tires costs about 20 bucks each.
15 Years ownership
98 TD Wagon
95 Gas Wagon
96 TD Wagon
A GT Cepek Dealer
Visit the Store

SaintAnger

Post by SaintAnger » Wed 15 Jul , 2015 6:19 pm

Okay good information, thank you both.

I would like to stay close to mil-spec, so I can use commonly available parts. Today I talked to my motor pool sergeant- once I get a good hands-on, I feel better about working on wheels and tires myself.

Matthew

Post by Matthew » Thu 16 Jul , 2015 1:22 pm

chuck wrote:Probably 5 years ago I had a customer in the Chicago area who needed new tires on their 2000 with 16.5 2 piece wheels. They found one of the old Hummer dealers and they wanted 250.00 labor per tire to do the work and they still needed to find decent tires which you can't in that size. They ended up with some black powder coated Cepek wheels and the Toyo Open Country MT's. Mounting and balancing the tires costs about 20 bucks each.
When I called an old Hummer Dealer out of Dallas they wanted $500 per wheel to just assemble the wheel with a runflat. That is not the cost of the tire, just to do the labor.

SaintAnger

Post by SaintAnger » Thu 16 Jul , 2015 5:56 pm

Matthew wrote:That is not the cost of the tire, just to do the labor.
Yikes- I need to move to the less civilized parts. A one man garage called Bowman Transmission in Mountain Home, Idaho mounted my Wrangler MT on a 12-bolt beadlock wheel for $150. All the chain establishments are afraid of liability, and of course they have higher built-in profit labor rates.

I appreciate the advice as I get up to speed on my new truck. All the best, gentlemen.