Rebuilding Half Shafts

Hummer H1 and Military Humvee topics
h2eter
hummer_info: 1998 H1 Wagon

Rebuilding Half Shafts

Post by h2eter » Tue 18 Mar , 2014 4:37 pm

Hey Guys,

I have a 98 Wagon I'm trying to rebuild my stock half shaft. Unfortunately, I having one heck of a time locating replacement parts. Chuck posted this great article many years ago regarding doing this - http://www.flashoffroad.com/Maintenance ... fshaft.htm The only issue I'm having is, the article is lacking whether or not the inner bearing parts are the same as the outer. Has anyone tried rebuilding their half shafts using chucks article? If so, where the inner bearings parts the same as the outer? I called Rockford and they don't have any info regarding the proper replacement parts for Hummers newer than 94. They only have information regarding the older weaker half shaft Hummer used between 93-94. On those half shafts, the inner and outer bearings parts are different. Stan that I spoke with at Rockford said it is not at all common that they would use the same parts for both inner and outer. Chucks article leads you to believe that the parts are the same so I thought I would see if anyone out there has given it a try and found out otherwise. If you have any info for me, please let me know!

h2eter
hummer_info: 1998 H1 Wagon

Re: Rebuilding Half Shafts

Post by h2eter » Wed 19 Mar , 2014 1:31 pm

Just a thought........ if someone has an old half shaft they are willing to disassemble and check out, that would be very helpful. I know there are a lot of guys like myself that would love to be able to rebuild their stock half shafts cheap! If someone is willing to take one apart to verify both the inner and outer bearings look the same, I will source the parts with Rockford and report back with cost and part #'s. This way if anyone wants to do their own rebuilds in the future, they can. Instead of throwing away an old half shaft, you can rebuild it and use it as a spare. If anyone is interested, let me know!

Thanks!!

h1sp

Post by h1sp » Thu 20 Mar , 2014 8:54 pm

Attachments
halfshaft.JPG
2000 HMC4
"Candy Apple RED"
Stock with Run Flats
1 of 57

h1sp