Drive train problem

Hummer H1 and Military Humvee topics
Ground hawg
hummer_info: 1999 4 door wagon Mesa dusk.

Drive train problem

Post by Ground hawg » Mon 26 May , 2014 6:44 pm

A short while ago I had a problem that sounded like a bad U-joint towards the center of the truck, so I replaced all U-joints on front and rear drive shafts, after reassembling everything and greasing the joints I used the truck for a few days to go to and from work. As I was driving home, speed was aprox 65mph there was the same sweat appear, followed buy a shudder followed by an even bigger bang. ( you ever notice this stuff always happens when you least need it too.) . I managed to coast to the side of the highway, getting out of the vehicle I noticed a nice big oil patch following my truck with large chunks of drive train randomly dispersed amongst it. Total damage was front drive shaft and carrier bearing, oil pan, oil filter and mount and the oil pick up,
Well I replaced and installed all damaged components, and greased everything, and took for a test drive, seames that I still have the problem, as the same squeak has started again.......
I've just finished rebuilding the T-case today so I'm pretty sure that wasn't the problem as the wear on internals wasn't to bad.
Anybody have any ideas what else could cause this.

Regards ground hawg

chuck
Site Admin
hummer_info: 1998 H1

Re: Drive train problem

Post by chuck » Mon 26 May , 2014 7:21 pm

It sounds to me that the carrier bearing blew and took the rest out. You might check the front driveshaft itself. When I blew my carrier bearing I replaced the front driveshaft because the forces in play can wreck it. Did you put the shaft on exactly the way you took it off? This could effect balance. You also might check to see of the front shaft is in balance. Maybe a weight was knocked off.

Here's my article on the front drive shaft center support bearing.

http://flashoffroad.com/Maintenance/Dri ... eShaft.htm
15 Years ownership
98 TD Wagon
95 Gas Wagon
96 TD Wagon
A GT Cepek Dealer
Visit the Store

Ground hawg
hummer_info: 1999 4 door wagon Mesa dusk.

Post by Ground hawg » Mon 26 May , 2014 8:02 pm

Yeah I have everything marked for alignment during re assembly. But this is still happening with the new drive shaft and carrier bearing. The old drive shaft wasn't rebuild able, so everything was replaced with new AMG parts.

chuck
Site Admin
hummer_info: 1998 H1

Post by chuck » Tue 27 May , 2014 8:24 am

Well let's start with the basics. "Squeaks" in the driveline are usually either from very worn or not properly lubricated parts. Check the 2 diffs and 4 hubs for oil, might as well change the oil while you're in there. Verify the motor and trans fluid levels.

Now that you're good with fluids if the leak is still occurring please describe it a bit better. If a halfshaft is worn and making the "I'm about to break" noise it should be at twice the speed of the tire rotation. If the "squeak" isn't really a squeak and it's a rubbing noise might also check the rear prop shaft for rubbing on the fuel tank (look for scratch marks).
15 Years ownership
98 TD Wagon
95 Gas Wagon
96 TD Wagon
A GT Cepek Dealer
Visit the Store