Factory Rocker protection removal/hummerdan instal

Hummer H1 and Military Humvee topics
Matthew
hummer_info: 1997.5 Wagon

Factory Rocker protection removal/hummerdan instal

Post by Matthew » Sat 17 Jan , 2015 7:14 am

Hey group-

I just got a set of hummerdans rock tubes and was wondering if anyone had any tricks for installing? I have to get the original set of guards off and looks like I will have to remove some trim in the rear of the truck to access the bolts?

Interedted in any tips or tricks people might have.

Thanks
Matt

chuck
Site Admin
hummer_info: 1998 H1

Re: Factory Rocker protection removal/hummerdan instal

Post by chuck » Sat 17 Jan , 2015 8:44 am

You have to pull up the floor mats in the front to expose the bolts. Then you have to remove the rear seats and trim to get to the bolts in the rear. I never wrote an article but I took pictures many years ago.
DSC02965.jpg
DSC02966.jpg
DSC02973.jpg
15 Years ownership
98 TD Wagon
95 Gas Wagon
96 TD Wagon
A GT Cepek Dealer
Visit the Store

h1sp

Post by h1sp » Mon 19 Jan , 2015 2:05 pm

I helped install some, it seemed like it only took a hour. The work went quick, but we had 3 people, a couple set of sockets, a grinder for a few rounded bolts, all the tools, two floor jacks.
I remember thinking It would be a challenge to do it alone. Balancing and bolting up the new rockers without help would be the trick.

I think two floor jacks would solve one trick.

be Careful "They are heavy"
2000 HMC4
"Candy Apple RED"
Stock with Run Flats
1 of 57

Matthew
hummer_info: 1997.5 Wagon

Post by Matthew » Fri 30 Jan , 2015 9:02 am

Got it done last weekend. Luckily all my bolts came out with no problem. The only portion I needed assistance with was someone holding the front bolts to loosened them. I couldnt reach both ends myself.

For installing the new ones I had a couple pallets in the side yard so I put those down and put the new protection on top. I got it lined up and then jacked up one side, installed the bolts, and then did the same for the front.

Everything went smoother than anticipated. The only negative was 2 of holes on the underside on passenger side did not line up (they weren't even close). Not sure if anyone else had that happen.

Matt