To Buy or Not to Buy A New H3?

Everything H2 and H3 related
SilverRide98

To Buy or Not to Buy A New H3?

Post by SilverRide98 » Fri 01 May , 2009 7:45 pm

Hello,
I was talking with my wife about buying a H3, so I thought I would check with everyone and see what you think. I already have a H1 and would like to get another vehicle for my wife. She drove a FJ and did not like it so I thought we could get a H3.I was thinking we still get the 4x4 part but also a collectors item we can use.
1998 H1Silver Wagon
122500 miles
Relocated FSD
WiFi Setup
Electric Fan w/Purple Ice
All Synthetic Fluids
Cepek and Toyo 37x13.5x17 Flat Black Powder Coat
Truck-Lite L.E.D. Headlights

h1sp

Re: To Buy or Not to Buy A New H3?

Post by h1sp » Fri 01 May , 2009 9:16 pm

I enjoyed my H3, wish I never sold it. Its a great all around rig... I tossed some 35's on it and it was good to go.
2000 HMC4
"Candy Apple RED"
Stock with Run Flats
1 of 57

doctoroctos

Post by doctoroctos » Tue 05 May , 2009 12:53 am

I rented an h3 for a week, I own a 08 JK wrangler, and I have test driven the FJ cruiser (on two off road tracks). The h3 has the looks, but lacks the power. The JK is mid way, capable off roader stock. The FJ kicks donkey (on and off road), but the rear doors suck (access to the rear seat is horrible), and visibility sucks (huge blind spots on both sides). I have thought about buying the FJ and just use it as a truck (covered). The FJ has a lot of thought put into it. When you try an h3, you are like, what dummy decided to not make the seats fold down all the way. And there are few other nuances that can get to you.

That said, I would still consider an h3, modified. I would try to get the v8 over the 5 cylinder.

Try them all out though. They are all different.
95 NA Wagaon

chuck
Site Admin
hummer_info: 1998 H1

Post by chuck » Tue 05 May , 2009 5:34 pm

I really like the FJ. I've seen a few off the road. The main thing that kills it for me are the blind spots. You just can't see where you are.

I remember when the H2 came out. I traded my H1 on the trail in Windrock (oakridge TN) with an h2. It just didn't have the visibility my H1 has. The door is really thick and it's hard to hang out the window and look at your front wheel when you're close to an edge. I felt like I was sitting up high with no idea where the rest of the truck was. When I got back into my H1 it felt like I was getting back into a little sportscar with tons of visibility. On my H1 I felt that I could look right down the hood and know where the front of the truck is.
15 Years ownership
98 TD Wagon
95 Gas Wagon
96 TD Wagon
A GT Cepek Dealer
Visit the Store

SilverRide98

Post by SilverRide98 » Thu 07 May , 2009 7:24 pm

Doc,
I was wondering did you have an ALPHA H3 or the 5 cylinder?
1998 H1Silver Wagon
122500 miles
Relocated FSD
WiFi Setup
Electric Fan w/Purple Ice
All Synthetic Fluids
Cepek and Toyo 37x13.5x17 Flat Black Powder Coat
Truck-Lite L.E.D. Headlights

jasonandcc

Post by jasonandcc » Thu 07 May , 2009 7:54 pm

I started my HUMMER ownership with a 2007 H2, which I loved. We picked it up in January of '07. In June we were back at the dealer for an H3. It was a service loaner that my wife drove while the H2 was having the 5,000 mile check up. She liked it so much we just bought it. When bought the H1 I actually had all three for a short period of time until I found a buyer for the H2. (driveway looked really cool). The H1 needed some general maintenance so it was down for a while. I drove the H3 to and from the office quite a bit and I have to say I fell in love with it. I drive like a maniac so I am always in the gas hard. Its not a V8, but for what it is, it has plenty of power. The 5 cylinder is very quite and smooth. It has a wide stance so it handles real well on turns. This winter I drove the H3 over the H1 because it handled better in the slippery roads. My H1 has very aggressive mudders and the H3 has street tires (factory). One would think the H1 would be my vehicle of choice for bad roads but its so heavy it tends to slide around more. The H3 I could hammer the turns like a rally car! I have taken the H3 off-road several times and it could follow my other two HUMMERS anywhere they went (as long as there wasn't mud due to the tires). I have two daughters and the H3, in my opinion, is a very safe and capable vehicle for my wife and kids. I can't think of any other SUV in its class that I would get.

**My wife is only 5' 1" and 98lbs so she has that "small person" disorder and she uses her HUMMER to make up for it. :D
1996 H1
2007 H3

H1LM002G55
hummer_info: HMCO+HMCS-LM002-G55

Post by H1LM002G55 » Sun 01 Nov , 2009 7:49 pm

I got an H3 for my friend in Angola, Africa. It was a 5 cylinder model and it was a couple years back, when they first came out. It was great. I drove it in the U.S. for a month. I put Pirelli Scorpion sand tires on it for him, since you can only drive on the beach when going town to town, because Angola is still heavily mined from the Portuguese days and the bush wars...3rd most heavily mined country in the world. It is still running great in Angola, almost 5 years later, so I guess GM did something right. It was a fun truck. I would have bought one if it said something like "Jurassic Park Jeep" instead of "Hummer". Way cooler than an H2. In my opinion.
H1 Pilot since 1995 (14 years)
95 HMC4(Sold) ; 96 HMCO ; 97 HMCS(Sold) ; 99 HMCS
91 LM002 #223 of 301 ; 03 AMG G55
Amsoil Fully Synthetic Oil in Everything / Preventive Maintenance Checks Routinely