Video of our last club run.

Everything H2 and H3 related
Rich

Video of our last club run.

Post by Rich » Tue 06 Feb , 2007 11:55 pm

SoCal's "Nightmare Gulch"

3 H2's and 1 H3. Mine is the white rig. Not much footage of it because I was filming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_guEAfjceU

chuck
Site Admin
hummer_info: 1998 H1

Post by chuck » Wed 07 Feb , 2007 10:09 am

Rich,

Pretty cool video. Now I'm dying to get back out on the trail. Did you guys get some rain out there. I saw the mud puddle.

Where is nightmare gulch?

Tell me. This is the first time I've seen the H3's off the road. How do they do?
15 Years ownership
98 TD Wagon
95 Gas Wagon
96 TD Wagon
A GT Cepek Dealer
Visit the Store

Rich

Post by Rich » Wed 07 Feb , 2007 2:17 pm

We did get a little tiny bit of rain as it was getting dark but nothing to speak of. I do believe that mud puddle is spring fed so is there year round but at times deeper. That mud is like concrete when it dries.

Nightmare gulch is in southern CA in the mojave desert. I tink within the borders of red rock park. I can get specifics if you wanted to come -though I don't think H1's would fit through one particular squeeze (all 3 H2's got body damage).

The H3's are amazing, especially the adventure series with the rear lockers. Because of their smaller size there are some things they do better than an H2 or 1. I have friends that did the entire rubicon here in CA with their 3's.

chuck
Site Admin

Post by chuck » Wed 07 Feb , 2007 4:16 pm

i'm all the way North of Chicago so I don't think I'm going to make it out there soon. I just was interested in where it was.

This is the first time I've heard comments about the H3. Hopefully I'll get a chance to wheel with some one of these days.

Keep up the videos.
15 Years ownership
98 TD Wagon
95 Gas Wagon
96 TD Wagon
A GT Cepek Dealer
Visit the Store

Rich

Post by Rich » Wed 07 Feb , 2007 4:22 pm

chuck wrote: This is the first time I've heard comments about the H3. Hopefully I'll get a chance to wheel with some one of these days.
You know, we have a HXC chapter in chicago that wheel the 2's and 3's a lot. You should join up with them sometime. (it's free). We of course aren't H1 specific, we even have jeeps etc with us from time to time. Makes no difference - run what ya got. Good family friendly group too.

chuck
Site Admin

Post by chuck » Wed 07 Feb , 2007 4:31 pm

Who is HXC? Tell me more about them. Who and where are they in Chicago?
15 Years ownership
98 TD Wagon
95 Gas Wagon
96 TD Wagon
A GT Cepek Dealer
Visit the Store

Rich

Post by Rich » Wed 07 Feb , 2007 4:56 pm

chuck wrote:Who is HXC? Tell me more about them. Who and where are they in Chicago?
Hummer X Club. Chapter leader for Chicago area is Rob Sutter. His contact info is Northeast@HummerXclub.com.

Other chapters can be found by going to hummer.com (click on USA, then "Hummer world", then "clubs"). All chapters are listed there.

A bit about HXC. HXC was started in TX by Phil Day. His plan was to have the club go nationwide and letting people that actually get their trucks off-road lead the individual chapters.

There are no fee's to run any given trail. Club membership is optional at I think $25 a year, but you get a shirt and some other goodies so it's not exactly a money making venture. Along with that come voting priviledges etc.

Actual member or not makes no difference on the trail.

Rich

Post by Rich » Wed 07 Feb , 2007 5:53 pm

ooops - time to eat crow. I'm sorry, Rob is from Boston. :oops:

Maybe soon though....or you could start a chapter. :D

FunnerHummer

Post by FunnerHummer » Tue 27 Feb , 2007 12:32 pm

Chuck, the H3s do really well off road. I like to follow one on trails to watch the articulation of the wheels. Very impressive. They were designed really well for off road. I watched a few climb obstacles with ease that looked too extreme for the truck. I'd get one, but the wife wants a Honda Oddysey.

Steve Yee has a yellow H3. He is adding aftermarket off road accessories to it. He takes his slantback on the trail with his wife following in the H3.

As far as HXC goes, it seemed at the time it got started, that the long established Hummer Club wasn't good enough for them so they started their own club. It's possible they didn't know it existed and thought they were the first to form a club. The unwillingness to join established Hummer owners and the international Hummer Club or any of the many regional clubs only served to exacerbate the seperatist attitude of H2 and H1 people. We get very few H2 or H3 owners at AZHOG and it's free. Basically, the folks that buy those are not really interested in running any trails where the paint might get scratched. When the local dealer hosts an event, it is always a wide clear easy trail. We all laugh when the guides get on the radio and inform everybody to get it into 4 wheel low for an upcoming obstacle that we can do in normal 4h drive. The event last weekend was no exception.

And really, despite the fact that the flatlands of Illinois is the only place I have ever been stuck, (it was a fluke) there is no place there to actually do serious off roading, is there? Isn't that why you take a trip west every so often?

A few AZHOG members joined an HXC Club Charity 3 day off road event in Nevada last year and it was just not "off road". It was nothing more than a caravan of 40 or more trucks running dirt roads at high speed to a distant destination for dinner and entertainement. Dirt roads are not off road or they wouldn't call them dirt "roads". The only fun spot was the last couple miles near Area 51 in a dryed out lake bed. See photos. We had a bit o fun, but it wasn't what we expected on that trip. Made me wonder if there are any serious off road trails there. There must be, but we sure didn't see them. Yet, in Moab with The Hummer Club, we had a few H2s outdrive a few less experienced H1s. Persdonally, I just don't see the need for these new clubs.

But, we met Rod at that Nevada run and he was really cool. IMO, the guy that should have been in charge of the whole shebang. The first guy we had as trail leader on the first day was a complete and total idiot and demonstrated no skill at all for leading a group of vehicles what so ever. We got with Rod for the rest of the event and he was great!

Hey Rod, remember the wiring problem I had that trip? Finally got it fixed just last weekend. Took a while. Runs great now.
Attachments
NevadaRun06_141.jpg
NevadaRun06_141.jpg (244.46 KiB) Viewed 9202 times
NevadaRun06_155 B&W.jpg
NevadaRun06_155 B&W.jpg (314.38 KiB) Viewed 9203 times
NevadaRun06_167.jpg
NevadaRun06_167.jpg (315.19 KiB) Viewed 9203 times
Keith
Latter Day American - a dieing breed
97.5 HMCS
Hard Core Skid Guards
2WD
2" Lift
Cepek Adjustable Shocks
SMA2 Brushguard
Rhino Lift
HID head lamps & OffRoad lights
ScanGaugeII
Desert COOL KIT
Head Cooling Kit
Centuri Pre-Cleaner
M101

chuck
Site Admin

Post by chuck » Tue 27 Feb , 2007 2:29 pm

First I want to say really nice pictures.

The club thing has it's good and bad aspects. Like you said, sometimes you only meet other guys through a club. I wheeled alone for years. Then I was part of the Hummer club. I met a lot of great people but the politics drove me out. The other problem is that after many years of guiding groups and volunteering on my vacation time I just want to go out with a small experienced group and wheel.
15 Years ownership
98 TD Wagon
95 Gas Wagon
96 TD Wagon
A GT Cepek Dealer
Visit the Store

Rod

Post by Rod » Tue 27 Feb , 2007 2:34 pm

Holy cow, Keith. I guess I get to spend an hour setting a few facts straight. That'll have to wait until later, unfortunately.

'99 Hummer HMC4
'05 Hummer H2 SUT

FunnerHummer

Post by FunnerHummer » Tue 27 Feb , 2007 3:41 pm

chuck wrote:First I want to say really nice pictures.

The club thing has it's good and bad aspects. Like you said, sometimes you only meet other guys through a club. I wheeled alone for years. Then I was part of the Hummer club. I met a lot of great people but the politics drove me out. The other problem is that after many years of guiding groups and volunteering on my vacation time I just want to go out with a small experienced group and wheel.
Good point. I agree, sad to say. The Hummer Club's politics have been self defeating. When we did the Moab event, it was apparent to us AZ locals that we have much more fun on our own. Insurance and other restrictions take the fun right out of it, too. And I never actually felt like I was at a big national event. There were over 75 trucks, but I spent each day with pretty much the same 8 or 9 trucks on a different trail. Only see the others on the first night and the last night. And yet, 10 or less trucks on a trail is the best way to go. Add more than that and everything moves way to slow and more breakdowns occur.

The idea had been put forward that each regional club sponsor one big event per year for all members. That should have helped the club offer more events in all areas of the country by spreading out the responsibility to plan everything. But, that didn't happen. The dealer events are too tame, except for Lynch's. With all the diversity of terrain that Arizona has to offer, an AZHOG event is always a good time.
Keith
97.5 HMCS
Hard Core Skid Guards
2WD
2" Lift
Cepek Adjustable Shocks
SMA2 Brushguard
Rhino Lift
ScanGaugeII
Desert COOL KIT
Head Cooling Kit
Centuri Pre-Cleaner
M101

chuck
Site Admin

Post by chuck » Tue 27 Feb , 2007 3:54 pm

Keith,
I'll have to come out and go wheeling with you guys. You have to promise that I won't scratch my truck. :twisted:
15 Years ownership
98 TD Wagon
95 Gas Wagon
96 TD Wagon
A GT Cepek Dealer
Visit the Store

FunnerHummer

Post by FunnerHummer » Tue 27 Feb , 2007 8:08 pm

chuck wrote:Keith,
I'll have to come out and go wheeling with you guys. You have to promise that I won't scratch my truck. :twisted:
OK. No scratches. You may get muddy, but we can wash it off in the lake! :lol:
Keith
97.5 HMCS
Hard Core Skid Guards
2WD
2" Lift
Cepek Adjustable Shocks
SMA2 Brushguard
Rhino Lift
ScanGaugeII
Desert COOL KIT
Head Cooling Kit
Centuri Pre-Cleaner
M101

Rod

Post by Rod » Tue 27 Feb , 2007 11:53 pm

FunnerHummer wrote:But, we met Rod at that Nevada run and he was really cool. IMO, the guy that should have been in charge of the whole shebang.
Thanks, Keith. The guys that run the Ronald McDonald House events pretty much hatched the fundraising idea and have done the events since the beginning. The NV HXC chapter and I are just humble volunteers that help out because we believe in the Ronald McDonald Charities' mission. As much as a fresh leadership approach might benefit the effort, I doubt the existing group will go for that. Too bad 'cause those events have a huge fundraising potential.
Hey Rod, remember the wiring problem I had that trip? Finally got it fixed just last weekend. Took a while. Runs great now.
Yup, sure do remember that. Seems you had a few different problems on that run.

Keith, you wrote a few other things above that are not correct. I hope you don't mind if I counter your assumptions and statements with facts and first hand knowledge?

'99 Hummer HMC4
'05 Hummer H2 SUT