Video of our last club run.

Everything H2 and H3 related
FunnerHummer

Post by FunnerHummer » Wed 28 Feb , 2007 9:07 am

Rod wrote:Keith, you wrote a few other things above that are not correct. I hope you don't mind if I counter your assumptions and statements with facts and first hand knowledge?
Please do.
Keith
Latter Day American - a dieing breed
97.5 HMCS
Hard Core Skid Guards
2WD
2" Lift
Cepek Adjustable Shocks
SMA2 Brushguard
Rhino Lift
HID head lamps & OffRoad lights
ScanGaugeII
Desert COOL KIT
Head Cooling Kit
Centuri Pre-Cleaner
M101

Rod

Post by Rod » Fri 02 Mar , 2007 3:45 pm

Disclaimer: I am very much involved in the Hummer X Club.
FunnerHummer wrote:As far as HXC goes, it seemed at the time it got started, that the long established Hummer Club wasn't good enough for them so they started their own club.
Wrong.

HXC has its roots in the old H2 South Texas group, which was started shortly after the H2's introduction. It was started because the established Hummer Club was pretty much the exclusive playground of the H1 crowd.

HXC was then launched in '05 to provide a club where all Hummers -- be them 1, 2 or 3 -- are welcome and where typical club muck like over-the-top politics and egos aren't welcome. The first chapter was in South Texas, the second, Nevada.

For more facts about the Hummer X Club, check out our newsletter: http://www.hummerxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2450
The unwillingness to join established Hummer owners and the international Hummer Club or any of the many regional clubs only served to exacerbate the seperatist attitude of H2 and H1 people.
To the contrary, the Hummer X Club is the only national Hummer club I know of that sponsors dozens of local events each year where you'll often find a diverse blend of all Hummer models and other 4x4 vehicles. Check it out: http://www.hummerxclub.com/events/krocks2006/index.html
We get very few H2 or H3 owners at AZHOG and it's free. Basically, the folks that buy those are not really interested in running any trails where the paint might get scratched. When the local dealer hosts an event, it is always a wide clear easy trail. We all laugh when the guides get on the radio and inform everybody to get it into 4 wheel low for an upcoming obstacle that we can do in normal 4h drive. The event last weekend was no exception.
One dominate mindset of the HXC says a non-offroading Hummer owner is an owner that hasn't yet been properly introduced to their truck ... and we're just the people to do it.

We're building chapters all over the country just like the one that was launched last month in Arizona. It already includes all model Hummers and people are still joining after last week's Phoenix Hummer Happening. Some of those new members will never see dirt, some will only enjoy power line roads and others will stretch their trucks to the limit. Regardless, all appetites and models are welcome at the HXC.
We had a bit o fun, but it wasn't what we expected on that trip.
The Ronald McDonald House charity run and its lack of meaningful off-road action was fully disclosed. Remember this conversation and pre-run report photo?

Keith Perry wrote:It appears as though this will be a mild off road excursion. I don't really care if it is mild or more extreme. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun for a family because of the activities like the cave tour and railroad ride, etc! I like driving the journey, but the family tends to enjoy the destinations!

rodster wrote:Mild off-road is accurate and if we're lucky, we'll find and map some tougher, optional obstacles this weekend. But easy going is the norm for RMH events.

'99 Hummer HMC4
'05 Hummer H2 SUT

Rich

Post by Rich » Fri 02 Mar , 2007 8:38 pm

I think the things I like most about HXC are:

1.No dues. Actual membership is optional. People usually join and pay the small fee because they CHOSE to support the club. However member or not you are treated the same on the trail and forums. I don't mind dues, I pay them at HXC, I just like it to be MY choice.

2.It's primarily Hummers but not exclusive. If my brother wants to come and drive his lifted Ram, he can and he's welcomed by everybody. Same for my Jeep buddies. I love the Hummer brand but don't want to exclude someone who chooses differently than I do.

3.The frequency of trips. This year the NorCal chapter plans to run a monthly trip along with some less formal trips in between of which some of will undoubtedly start with a idea about 2 days before the trip happens.
04 HMCS

Pappy

Post by Pappy » Tue 20 Mar , 2007 9:15 am

chuck wrote:
Tell me. This is the first time I've seen the H3's off the road. How do they do?
Hey guys...new to the site, but thought I would give my thoughts on the h3...I have had one for a year now (leasing it, so can't do too much hard core stuff yet), and had it off road a few times. I did a driver's course at lynch hummer out here in stl. During the trail driving out back on their off road course, i followed the instructor's 1999 h1 and i could do everything it could do...and some things a little better. For instance, on one drop in, he had to take it at an angle or he would get high centered...me, i could take it straight on.

The H3 is a lot of fun to drive off road. It has a lot of power in the low end, and the crawl ratio with the locking rear dif is actually better than the h1. I have been thinking about getting an H1 in a year and a half when my lease runs out, but now I am thinking about buying a H3 and making that my off roader of choice.

Rich

Post by Rich » Wed 21 Mar , 2007 2:50 pm

Both H2's and H3's have advantages over an H1 in certain circumstances, and visa versa - anybody who thinks otherwise is being close minded. Breakover would be one of those circumstances. Narrow passes would be another - I went through a spot with my H2 that was so narrow every single H2 with me got body damage. An H3 fit no problem. An H1 would never fit and there was no alternate line.

I don't think any one of the models is superior to any of the others in every way. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

The H3's biggest problem is it's weak front diff. Of the people I wheel with who push them hard I don't think I know one person who hasn't changed at least two of them. The H3 to look out for will be the V8 version rumored to be out soon - maybe in 08? The diff will be changed to cast iron.
04 HMCS

h1sp

Post by h1sp » Wed 21 Mar , 2007 4:18 pm

I also have an H3. I call it my four wheel drive mini van. In our area alot of the ladies are running them. I use it for around the town, bank, pick up the children etc... People always assume its my wifes or they will say its cute.

I tossed some 35's on it to add the meat to my potato's.

I have taken it on a few Hummer runs and I have found, it lacks power, speed and its a little lite, with my 35's maybe a little top heavy.

I got stuck when the H2's did not. I use to own a Jeep so I was pushing it to prove it was better.

I personaly like it. The floor is high and the seat is low, but as far as the ability:
"its all about the tires and the driver"

I say keep it, they now have all kinds of goodies you can buy for it.

Pappy

Post by Pappy » Thu 22 Mar , 2007 9:51 am

true, it lacks power and speed, but that isn't what it was built for, so that doesn't really bother me much.

The thing that really surprised me about it was the fact that it is such a nice ride on the highway...love it.

h1sp

Post by h1sp » Thu 22 Mar , 2007 10:27 am

"your right", for a 4x4 that can do what it can do, go places most cant go, it does have a nice ride.

Not to mention the seats are very comfortable, the stereo is banging, I have DVD's in the head rest and I'm thinking about adding a Gobi roof rack.

"Yea Baby"
Attachments
H3 roof rack.jpg
H3 roof rack.jpg (51.05 KiB) Viewed 5296 times

Pappy

Post by Pappy » Thu 22 Mar , 2007 11:00 am

nice...i am not able to anything to mine cause i am leasing, but that looks nice...the next one though....muhahaha....MUHAHAHAHA

Rich

Post by Rich » Thu 22 Mar , 2007 4:45 pm

Pappy wrote:nice...i am not able to anything to mine cause i am leasing, but that looks nice...the next one though....muhahaha....MUHAHAHAHA
well you could actually. The gobi is a no holes clamp on that could be removed at the end of your lease without any damage. It could then be bolted onto the new rig.
04 HMCS

Rich

Post by Rich » Thu 22 Mar , 2007 4:46 pm

oh, and lighting wires simply go under your exterior windshield trim - no holes for that either.
04 HMCS

Pappy

Post by Pappy » Fri 23 Mar , 2007 9:51 am

stop it...stop it right now...trying to save money for a wedding....just stop...
:)

h1sp

Post by h1sp » Fri 23 Mar , 2007 10:06 am

a wedding? Than you better get the Roof Rack NOW. Once you tie that knot, you are in a partnership....... then all spending / Purchases will have to be approved by BOTH partners.... Just so happens this will fall under the "WANT" category and not the "NEED" Category

Pappy

Post by Pappy » Mon 26 Mar , 2007 6:30 am

oh yer full of crap...I totally have a mind of my own...

(she told me to write that)

:)

h1sp

Post by h1sp » Mon 26 Mar , 2007 7:49 am

Yea, me too.
I crossed a land mark this past weekend..... Got my wife to bring beer back from the store for me. :lol:
However the "laundry duty" is killing me. :shock: